5 Steps to Painting Like a Pro at Home – Pasadena Weekendr
Nothing transforms a home like a fresh coat of paint. In fact, painting your own house is one of the smartest and easiest DIY upgrades a homeowner can make, especially if they spend more time at home. According to an iProperty Management study, 71% of homeowners are doing improvement or renovation projects with paint. Here are surefire tips to make sure you’re painting like a pro.
1. Clean your canvas – The paint adheres better to a smooth, clean surface. While living room walls may just need dry dusting, kitchens and bathrooms where dirt, grease, oil, or mold can build up need special attention. Wash surfaces with soap and water, rinse well and allow to dry completely. Remove mold and mildew from bathrooms by applying a solution of one part bleach to three parts water and letting the solution sit for 20 minutes. Then scrub the mold and mildew with a soft-bristled brush, rinse the surface, and let it dry. Be sure to wear safety glasses and rubber gloves when working with this bleach and water solution. For particularly dirty surfaces, spray with Rust-Oleum® Original Krud Kutter Cleaner & Degreaser, wipe with a clean cloth and allow to dry.
2. Make sure the surface is smooth – After the surface is dry, smooth any uneven or rough surfaces with some fine-grain sandpaper. Another benefit is shining a bright light over the surface at a small angle to identify problem areas. After sanding or scraping the area, wipe it with a damp cloth to remove any dust or debris, and let it dry.
3. Don’t forget the details – Anyone can paint over a wide, smooth surface, but it’s the attention to detail on windows and doors that really gives a job a professional look. First, remove any loose or cracked sealant from windows, doors, and trim, and apply a fresh bead of sealant to create a smooth, sealed surface. DAP ALEX FLEX ™ Premium Molding & Trim Sealant can be painted in just 30 minutes, saves time and ensures a seamless, more professional finish. Next, use painter’s tape to protect windowsills, moldings, baseboards, door hinges, and the perimeter of the ceiling. Take the time to make sure all areas are properly covered.
4. Fill in the imperfections – Now it’s time to tackle the main interface. Cracks, holes and dents will damage the finished project. So apply spackling to fill in these areas. Open a container of pre-mixed putty and use a flexible spatula to apply a small amount to the damage. Spread the compound over the hole or crack in a steady downward motion. Slightly overfill and sand smooth with fine-grain sandpaper. Do you need to tackle a major drywall repair? Reach for DAP® FAST DRY Premium Spackling. This professional leveling compound is uniquely formulated to provide strength and durability when dried quickly. Depending on the size of the repair, it can be painted in just 15 minutes.
5. Paint with precision – Make the job easier and faster by having different brushes and rollers on hand. Rollers are ideal for covering large, wide areas. However, for a professional look around edges and corners, you’ll need smaller brushes for the right amount of detail work. Let the first coat dry completely, then apply a second coat to ensure smooth, even coverage. Once the second coat of paint is dry, carefully peel up the tape and the painter’s voila! Your room will be transformed!
For more information on DAP products for your next DIY project, please visit DAP.com.